Sunday, January 13, 2008

A New Life in New York

Leaving my friends at a place called Des Moines where I stayed for the last two and a half years.
所谓天下无不散之延席

Moving my belongings from Des Moines to New York was a tiresome task. Pack and Unpack are troublesome and tiring.
Fortunately, I have my dearest boyfriend, kor kor and di di there to pack 90% of all my belongings into 6 big luggages. I am so glad that they are willing to bring an extra piece of luggage each, just to move all my stuffs to NY.
Thank you and I truly appreciate their kindness.

To start my new life here in NY isn't too hard. I am so lucky to have my uncle and his family here to take care of me. Pressure after school greatly reduced with their kind offer (to stay at their place). It is not easy to stay oversea alone without help from friends. Networking and maintaining a good relationship with others are the key factors to survive in US, especially during job hunting.

I have recently started my full-time job at a fashion production company called Sketch Studio Trading, Inc. My job is to communicate with my clients (fashion designers, specialize in night gown designing) and the fashion manufacturers in China. Acting like an agent to both parties: receiving the fashion drafts from clients, add in some beading designs for the drafts received, sending instructions to Chinese manufacturers in China, receive purchase orders from clients, fabric orderings, garments inspection, cost calculations, etc.

Sounds interesting, however, I am not as busy as the rest of the people in the office. [90% due to the not functioning computer] Hopefully there are more for me to learn on the coming days. Although this is not something related to my major, I am satisfied with the job. This is what I dream of since young (not having chance to further studies in fashion designing). I love seeing and working with fashion field, especially nice night gowns. I could now learn more about this field, earning hands-on experience, and knowing more in details and with a deeper understanding on this field.

Lastly, another excitement --- My company is willing to apply H-1 Visa for me!!! So that I can stay in the US for a longer period while gaining valuable experience. Hopefully everything (every application process) goes smoothly and I will get the H-1 Visa.

All the best to Rachel!

No comments: